COVID-19 caller tune featuring Amitabh Bachchan’s voice to be replaced

Amitabh Bachchan
Last updated:

COVID-19 called out for basic initiatives from government’s side in order to create awareness surrounding the disease. Among many initiatives, central government of India gave information to people when they call someone.

The caller tune gives information about the COVID-19 disease and how to prevent it.
In the initial month of coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdown, we were listening a female voice in the caller tune.

However, in the last few months, megastar Amitabh Bachchan lent his voice for the government’s initiative. Reportedly, the actor’s voice is now being replaced by a new voice.

Interestingly, just two days ahead of the vaccination drive in India, Amitabh Bachchan’s voice is to be replaced by a female voice.

Some media reports quoted sources in the Union health ministry to say that the new voice – which will be that of a female – will inform people about the vaccination drive which will begin from January 16.

What is in the new COVID-19 caller tune?

As per some media reports, the new caller tune is using Prime Minister’s new slogan ‘Dawaai bhi, kadaai bhi (medicine and caution both)’. Further, the caller tune urges people to still continue taking COVID precautions.

“The new year has brought a new ray of hope in the form of vaccines. Vaccines developed in India are safe, effective and will provide immunity,” it reportedly says.

PIL filed to remove Amitabh Bachchan’s voice from caller tune

Earlier this month, a Public interest litigation (PIL) was filed in the Delhi High Court that asked central government to remove Bachchan’s voice from the caller tune. The PIL was filed on the grounds that Big B, along with some family members, had been infected by the virus.

The matter has been listed for hearing on January 18.

COVID-19 vaccination drive

According to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s words, the vaccination drive is the world’s biggest drive. Starting from January 16, the vaccination drive will witness around 30 million frontline workers being vaccinated in the first phase.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on Thursday released details about the nationwide Covid-19 vaccination drive scheduled to begin on Saturday.

In a statement, the PMO said that over 3,000 sites across all states and union territories (UTs) will be virtually connected when Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the drive via video conferencing on January 16.

In the second phase, people above 50 years of age and the under-50 population groups will be vaccinated.