The Congress high command selected Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu (58), for the position of Chief Minister.
Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, a Congress politician, will take the oath of duty as Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh today. At 1:30 pm, the oath ceremony will take place.
Here are 5 interesting facts about Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu.
- Mr. Sukhu came from a humble rural background. When he was younger, his father worked as a milkman in Chhota Shimla while also driving a bus.
- Mr. Sukhu, a law graduate, started his political career at Himachal Pradesh University, where he worked his way up via the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), a student organization linked with the Congress, before eventually becoming its president.
- Mr. Sukhu led the Himachal Pradesh Youth Congress for ten years before leading the Himachal Pradesh Congress for a record-breaking six years, from 2013 to 2019. He won his first assembly election from Nadaun in 2003, held onto it in 2007, lost it in 2012, and then won it once again in 2017 and 2022.
- Mr. Sukhu, a four-time MLA, was twice chosen to lead the Shimla Municipal Corporation. Over the course of his 40-year political career, Mr. Sukhu frequently disagreed with the late Virbhadra Singh, who served as chief minister six times.
- Rahul Gandhi and Mr. Sukhu are good friends, and he will be the first politician from lower Himachal Pradesh to serve as chief minister of the state.
Also read: Cyclone Mandous wreaks havoc: Waterlogging, trail of damage in Tamil Nadu; trees uprooted