In a tragic incident, four newborn babied died on Monday as fire broke out at a government hospital in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, reports said.
The fire spread through a special unit of the Kamala Nehru Children’s Hospital.
“Four children died in the fire that broke out in the special newborn care unit (SNCU) ward probably due to a short circuit. We reached the spot along with others soon after getting information about the incident. It was dark inside the ward. We shifted the children to the adjacent ward,” State Medical Education Minister Vishwas Sarang said.
Fatehgarh Fire Station in-charge Juber Khan said the fire broke out in the ward on third floor of the hospital at around 9 pm following which 8-10 fire engines were rushed to the site.
Condoling the deaths, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said the incident was “very sad”.
“We were unable to save three children who were already seriously injured in the fire incident which is very painful. The rescue operation was swift and the blaze is under control, now but unfortunately the lives of three children could not be saved,” Chouhan had tweeted earlier.
“A high-level probe into the incident has been ordered. The probe will be conducted by additional chief secretary (ACS) health and medical education, Mohammad Suleiman,” the Chief Minister said in another tweet.
The CM has announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh for the family members of the victims.
ALSO READ: One Indian Fisherman shot dead, another injured in an unproved firing from Pakistan