Pasta, one of the most famous and sought after Italian dishes is often associated with creamy bases and dripping cheese. For all those health conscious people who shy away from a good serving of such pastas, here is a delicious vegan recipe of a beet and pesto pasta you can eat endlessly!
Made with golden beets, cherry tomatoes and pistachios, this healthy recipe alternative will definitely get you hooked! Traditional red beets can be used as a substitute. They will give you a dish that’s almost identical in flavor (and deep magenta in color).
Here is the full recipe:
- 3 medium golden/red beets
- olive oil, salt, and pepper, for roasting
- 450 gms cooked pasta
- 115 gms cherry tomatoes
- 85 gms baby arugula
- 1/3 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 3 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- sea salt, red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub beets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap beets in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, rub beets with paper towels to remove skin (it should come off cleanly), then slice into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water, and set aside.
- To prepare pesto, combine tomatoes, arugula, pecorino cheese, pistachios, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add lemon juice, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. Drizzle in olive oil, and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Toss pesto with pasta, adding a splash of reserved pasta water as needed to help the pesto coat the pasta evenly. Divide among serving bowls. Top with beet cubes and additional pecorino cheese as desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Try out this yummy recipe today!
ALSO READ: Keto Chocochip Cookies- A Delicious Snack That Helps You Lose Weight!