FA Cup: Dream come true for Leicester as they beat Chelsea in final

FA Cup Leicester
Image Credits: @EmiratesFACup/Twitter

Leicester won their first FA Cup final in 52 years thanks to a brilliant long-range goal from Youri Tielemans, and survived late VAR controversy when a Ben Chilwell shot was called out for offside. The midfielder scored a brilliant second-half goal to give Leicester a landmark win in front of 20,000 fans, the biggest crowd at a UK football ground since the COVID-19 pandemic started.

An emotional scene capped off a historic day when Leicester’s Thai owner was called onto the field to celebrate with the players. Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, Aiyawatt’s father, died in a helicopter crash at Leicester’s stadium in 2018, after helping to transform the Midlands club.

Chelsea vs Leicester

Brendan Rodgers earns his first major trophy in English football with the victory. The game’s first half was flat, but after 63 minutes, Tielemans scored with a superb long-range goal that brought the game to life.

Chelsea has now lost back-to-back FA Cup finals, after last season’s loss at the hands of Arsenal. 

ALSO READ: Virat Kohli’s Slam Book From School Days Goes Viral


The match got off to a cagey start, with the first chance coming after 24 minutes when Mason Mount’s shot from outside the area was deflected deep.

Moments later, Chelsea had another chance to score, but Timo Werner flicked the ball away from Cesar Azpilicueta, who was free for a tap-in.

Just after the half-hour mark, Leicester were dealt a blow when Jonny Evans was forced off with an injury and substituted by Marc Albrighton.


Before the interval, Leicester’s best opportunity came when Tielemans sent a lofted pass to Jamie Vardy, who headed wide. Both sides failed to make a single shot on goal in the first hour.

After Tielemans’ strike, Chelsea added Christian Pulisic and Ben Chilwell, and the latter came close to equalising after 77 minutes, but Schmeichel saved his header.

Chilwell felt he had scored a late equaliser, but it was ruled out for offside, and Leicester won.