As the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) transpired in Dubai, we take a look back at the highest team totals this year. Deemed as one of the most competitive seasons, IPL 2020 lived up to the hype. Organized out of the sub-continent due to the wrath of COVID-19, it was packed with individual brilliance and superb team effort as well.
As the conditions fit best for the batters, the 8 franchises indulged in a run-fest. With an average team total above 160, there were a handful of instances where a team crossed the 200 run mark quite easily.
- 228 by Delhi Capitals: Packed with confidence and artillery, Delhi Capitals witnessed yet another commendable season. With the likes of Shikhar Dhawan, Shreyas Iyer, Marcus Stoinis, Shimron Hetmyer in their arsenal, the Capitals were a pretty sturdy side to bowl at this season. In this particular game, DC pummelled the Kolkata Knight Riders bowlers all around the park to put on the highest runs in IPL 2020. Prithvi Shaw, Shreyas Iyer, and Rishabh Pant helped Delhi post 226 onboard which they defended by 18 runs.
- 226 by Rajasthan Royals: Chasing a mammoth total of 223 put on board by Kings XI Punjab, RR chased down the target which has been considered as one of the best chases in IPL. Riding on Steve Smith And Sanju Samson’s partnership they stayed alive in the game. But it was Rahul Tewatia’s 5 sixes in one over which changed the game in favour of Steve’s boys.
- 223 by Kings XI Punjab: KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal stitched a 189-run opening partnership to anchor the men in red and white to a total of 223 against Rajasthan Royals. While Mayank hit 105 off 50, the skipper Rahul amassed 69. Despite putting their highest total of the season on board they conceded the game due to their poor bowling. Sheldon Cottrell gave away 5 sixes in one over which saw them give away the match.
- 219 by Sunrisers Hyderabad: Wriddhiman Saha stood apart with his flamboyant knock of 87 from 45 deliveries beside his captain David Warner to put up a 107 runs partnership. Manish Pandey’s 44 down the order, helped SRH post the daunting total against Delhi Capitals. They managed to keep DC at bay as they won the game by 88 runs.
- 216 by RR: A 121-run partnership between Sanju Samson and captain Steve Smith ensured that RR posted a tall 200+ total against the mighty Chennai Super Kings. While chasing, Faf du Plessis tried his best to keep CSK in the game with his knock of 72. However, they ended up losing by 16 runs.
- 210 by KKR: Although it came in a lost cause, it was their highest total this season in Dubai. Batting first in match 16, Delhi rode Prithvi Shaw, Shreyas Iyer, and Risabh Pant’s knocks to post a mammoth total of 228. Chasing the target, KKR never looked settled. However, Eoin Morgan and Rahul Tripathi’s late cameos helped them cross the 200 run mark. They eventually lost by 18 runs.
- 200 by CSK: MS Dhoni’s CSK never had a poor season like the one this year in IPL. Their highest total came against RR but they ended up on the losing side. Faf du Plessis’ heroics couldn’t help salvage the game for the men in yellow.