Scripting history, Rishi Sunak became Britain’s first Indian-origin Prime Minister as he replaced his once leadership rival Liz Truss. Former UK PM Boris Johnson and Lord President of the Council, and Leader of the House of Commons Penny Mordaunt failed to get the support of 100 MPs required to stand in the elections. Former UK chancellor Rishi Sunak gained his party’s support and successfully bagged the top post on Monday. Here are 10 facts to know about Rishi Sunak:
1. He was born in UK’s Southampton to an Indian family.
2. His mother is a pharmacist and father a National Health Service (NHS) general practitioner.
3. Rishi Sunak’s grandparents belong to Punjab.
4. He is an Oxford University and Stanford graduate.
5. Rishi is married to Akshata Murthy, who is Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy’s daughter.
6. Rishi and Akshata entered wedlock in 2009 and have two daughters, Anoushka and Krishna.
7. In 2015, Rishi became a member of Parliament (MP) after being elected from Richmond, Yorkshire.
8. He was designated as the Chancellor of the Exchequer in February 2020.
9. He received wide appreciation for his economic package for employees and businesses during the pandemic.
10. He was in race for the UK PM post against Liz Truss.